DIYSignSupply.com's Neon Sign Kits are not made of Neon! They are made of a safe, long lasting, battery operated EL Wire that is threaded through clear, acrylic tubing, and fastened to an acrylic back panel. Please see our Blog for additional information regarding our process. These sign kits are made to allow you the ease of providing already clea acrylic tubing but allowing you the flexibility and affordability of assemblying your very own, lit "Neon" Sign without all of the hassles of real neon tubing.
DIYSignSupply.com - 6" DIY Neon Sign Kit Comes With the Following Items:
- Up to 4 6" Tall CAPITAL Letters Made of 5/8" Clear ID Pre-Cut, Pre-Assembled "Acrylic Tubing" Letters
- White or Black Acrylic Backing Panel Sized to Fit Your Letters
- Clear Plastic "Chicago Posts" to Allow you to Attach Letters to Acrylic Backing
- Clear Plastic "Standoffs" that Allow Sign to be Mounted from the Back or from the Front
- EL Wire with Battery Operated Transformer (Two AA Batteries)Small tube of acrylic glue
The following tools will be required to complete your very own DIY Neon Sign:
1. Drill, bits
The following steps will be required to complete your DIY Neon Sign:
1. Trace out exactly where the letters will be placegoing to go on the acrylic.
2. Drill small holes in the center of each return to allow the EL wires to be strung back behind the acrylic backing sheet.
3. Attached the letters back to the sign using Chicago Posts drilled close to the returns or glue the returns to the back acrylic panel. If you use the Chicago Posts they are a "snap" fitting that allows you to just pop the letters onto the backing acrylic board!
4. After sign assembly you will either hang the sign at a window with the letters pointing out the window or if you want the sign hanging on a wall with the letters toward a room. Depending on your specific configuration you would either install the "stand-offs" on the same side as the letters (window) or on the opposite (wall). Four (4) standoffs are supplied with the sign. Installation of the standoffs includes drilling a hole at the center of where you want each standoff and then glueing the standoff to the acrylic backing panel.
5. After the standoffs are install the last step is installing the EL Wire and transformer. The EL Wire will come long enough to be threaded through all of the letters. Please note that the EL Wire can be cut to size to whatever size you want after it is installed in the letters. Thread the EL wire from the back of the sign. You can either start at the first letter and run the wire from front to back or begin at the rear letter and run it from rear to front of the word.
6. Please ALSO note that DIY Neon Signs with EL wire come with battery powered AC current transformers - after the EL wire is run through the letters connect the harness of the EL Wire to the harness of the transformer, and attached the transformer to the rear of the acrylic backing panel.
7. Once the transformer is hooked up the EL wire, press the "on" button and you should have a working DIY NEON SIGN! One nice effect of threading the EL wire back behind the acrylic backer is that there is a "backlit" look at the sign. If you want to cover this "backlit" effect up you can purchase additional acrylic paneling for either the sides if your sign is attached at the back or another full back panel if your sign is attached to the front (window) or chain hung.
We are currently selling our DIY Neon Signs as DIY kits only. If you don't want to perform all of this work yourself and want a full, pre-made sign please Contact Us with any custom requests and we will send you a quote via e-mail! Please also feel free to Contact Us should you have any other questions regarding our DIY Neon Signs!